Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Facebook Fast...

I’m on Facebook ..... A LOT! I check Facebook all day on my phone while at work… and when I get home from work, I check it again several times on my computer before I go to sleep ….. AND before I go to work, I’m on it again, which usually makes me LATE for work…. Recently, while I was on Facebook, I found myself getting bored. I was thinking, “Damn, ain’t shit going on on Facebook!” And then I had to ask myself, "What are you looking for??" And I didn’t even have an answer! I realized that I’m on Facebook doing nothing at all but wasting valuable, precious time…

What really opened my eyes was when my daughter said “Mommy, why are you always on the computer?” I kept looking at the screen… I heard her… just chose to ignore her…. “Mommy, can you come watch Hannah Montana Forever with me?”

I kept looking at the screen. “Yes, Raven. Just give me a minute…”

She turns away, walks off and says, “I know what that means…. You’re not coming…”

It was the first time I looked away from the screen and I just watched her swing her arms back and forth and throw herself on the couch…

This lil heifer’s words cut me like a knife and she didn’t even know it…And THEN she had the nerve to walk off with an attitude like it was nothing…. Cold blooded!!

It was the shock treatment I needed. It was at that point I realized that I need to get my shit together and deactivate my account for a while. I deactivated it today and made a decision to not log on for the rest of the month…until August 1st. That’s exactly two week. May not seem like a long time, but it’s a long time for someone who has been on Facebook at least once a week, every week, since 2005. That’s a lot of damn time to be spending looking at insignificant people’s pictures and status updates…

I really don’t feel like I will be missing much though… Facebook isn’t the same anymore anyway. I remember the days when Facebook was only for college students and grads that had higher educational institutions email addresses. I actually had to contact my Alma mater and activate my heaven33@ufl.edu email to register and even get onto Facebook…. Back in the day when it was www.thefacebook.com!!

I knew Facebook had gone to hell recently when I was in line at the movie theater getting some popcorn……….. and these two 60+ white women were having a discussion about how tagging pictures works!! I had the itch to deactivate my account at that point, but I never got around to doing it…

I deactivated my account earlier today, at about 3pm eastern time… Since then, I have gotten on my computer and visited different Web sites. But I quickly realized that the majority of my Internet time is spent ON FACEBOOK. So since deactivating the account, I pull up the Internet, go to a few sites and turn off the computer in a matter of 10 minutes or so….

I've always said that people who sit on their computer looking at celeb gossip all day have nothing better to do with their lives… They need to find something to do with themselves… Exercise! Find a hobby! Get a man/woman! Read a book! ......Well, I’m going to take the only advice that I would have ever taken from Michael Jackson and I’m going to look at the woman in the mirror… and make that change.

I’m interested in seeing if fasting from Facebook for the next two weeks is going to help me in anyway, besides give me more time to actually wash dishes/read books/snuggle on couch with kids or even fit in some sex! Regardless of what I do or don’t get out of it, I’m willing to try something new for a change…Change is good. Hey, ya never know! I may never log onto Facebook ever again!.... I highly doubt it but it's a possibility! A small possibility. So... wish me luck!!!! Hopefully by tomorrow I won't be foaming at the mouth and slip into a coma from withdrawl...
Now who’s coming to rehab with me?!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. I've slowed down my login to facebook as well and twitter too. It was really consuming valuable time and you time is money. So it's cool to disconnect it from it, from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how kids can destroy you with the guilt trip. One disadvantage is that these blog links stopped showing up on my news feed :( Either way be sure to let us know how this worked out for you

    ReplyDelete